Welcome to 20min coaching pills. In 20min you can redesign something profoundly big, excruciatingly scary or eye-wideningly wonderful. We don’t need more than that. Actually we advise you to STOP after 20min! Out of this exercise: Take what you get. So grab a timer and off we go!
Before you start your timer:
Albert Einstein said: “We cannot solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them.”
We agree. Yet, getting to that new level of thinking seems kinda tricky. Hence, we developed a coaching pill to alleviate that malaise. Enjoy!
- Talented millennials, entrepreneurs and young professionals that (at the end of the day) want to do meaningful work, BUT who feel vaguely uninspired
- You are a couple of years into your career and now you wonder: “Was this it? Will this be it for the next 5-10 years? Like … REALLY?”
- You know something might be holding you back, but you are not exactly sure what.
- AND: You feel even less capable of solving that issue (potentially because “solving it” would be potentially very costly and involve horrible things such as quitting your job or even worse committing to a certain career path ;))
- Sit down. Get pen an paper.
- Repeat this mantra as many times as you wish:
“I shall not be scared of any potential outcome of the next 20min. I have no obligation to follow my passion. I may however do so in case I feel ready.”
(read this at least 2 times)
Then take the pill (= start the timer)
For the first 3min:
- Write down what you wanna change and why. This is your PROBLEM STATEMENT.
I wanna change … [my career], because … [I don’t aspire to become like the leadership level of my organisation and I don’t have any room for growth].
Leave 4-6 cm of blank space under your problem statement!
- Write down 4-5 limiting statements (aka excuses) about your situation. WHY ARE YOU STILL WHERE YOU ARE?
I wanna change [what you wanna change], BUT…
- I don’t have money to quit my job and live of.
- I don’t have the time to get started.
- I am too scared to show myself and I have no real good idea.
Your limiting statements likely are centered around one particular level:
- Your context
- Your actions/behaviour
- Your doubts of your abilities
- Your assumptions about the world or yourself
Find out what level your limiting statements are mostly on by hovering over the four grey boxes below.
Pick one only! If you have two, try to feel which one resonates with you more.
- The answer to your challenge lies on the next level. Now, click on the little “read more” button below the level that resonated with you the most.
- ONLY READ THE ONE THAT RESONATES WITH YOU! Resist the urge to read them all (you can do that after the 20min). Let’s go!
Step 4a | If you are thinking CONTEXT…
If the statements that resonate with you the most are on level “CONTEXT”, find an answer to the question:
What ACTION would I need to take or how would I need to behave to put myself into a more beneficial context?
Ok, I have to hang out with a different kind of people. Those that lift me up and inspire me rather than those that wear me out.
Ok, so I need to find a way to combine my career and my child. It’s potentially hard, yet not impossible. Other parents made that, too.
Ok, so I will need to either find investors or find money elsewhere. How much money do I really need? I might just start lean!
Ok… I honestly need to create time. This is the lamest excuse ever.
Step 4b | If you are thinking ACTIONS…
If the statements that resonate with you the most are on level “BEHAVIOUR” find an answer to the question:
So what CAPABILITY/skill do I want to develop to tackle this current behaviour/ crack on with the action I need to crack on with?
Ok, so I need to learn to network better. I need to develop a proposal that is interesting enough so that the person potentially introducing me to the Global HR Manager would feel proud and not embarrassed by introducing me.
Ok, so I need to book a course on business incubation and get a coach to help me.
Ok, so I need to learn how to professionalise and automate a couple of overhead tasks ranging from bookkeeping to marketing and sales.
Step 4c | If you are thinking ABILITIES…
If the statements that resonate with you the most are on level “CAPABILITIES” find an answer to the question:
So what belief/ ASSUMPTIONS about myself do I want to cultivate so that I feel confident to learn that certain skill and what would I need to master it?
Ok, can I learn to negotiate? Yes, I can! I would need a good negotiations class and more practice.
Ok, so can I learn to become a better public speaker? Yes, I can! I’d need to prepare well and maybe pre-record the speech for practice.
Step 4d | If you are thinking ASSUMPTIONS…
If the statements that resonate with you the most are on level “ASSUMPTIONS” find an answer to the question:
So what kind of person do I choose be? Is the core of my IDENTITY really wanting to believe that excuse or who am I really?
For instance: At the end of the day I am a person who…
… cares about following my dreams. I am not foolish, I am genius.
… is worthy. My idea is worthy of being implemented.
… knows that we do not all HAVE to follow our passion, yet I will be one of the few who will fight for doing so.
… chooses to believe that making money is not bad, but gives me room to invest in even more impact. Sure I can attract money into my life.
… will trust that the world might not just and only be good, but I can trust the people who want to help me.
… is pretty aware that Investors will invest in me again. Even if I loose their money. I will find new people to join me.
I seem to be limited by the [context / action or behaviour / doubt in my abilities / assumption] because [state the most powerful excuse].
BUT I can free myself by [starting to do … / understanding that I can learn … / choose to believe … / come to terms with the fact that I am actually a person who …].
In those 3 dots you just insert your most powerful statement from Step 4.
In 80% of all cases you might experience:
- Spontaneous energy boosts
- The sudden need to DO SOMETHING and to CRACK ON (check our Calendar of Events here, if that’s a problem for you)
In 20% of all cases you might experience:
- Enormous frowning about “hmmm… should it really be that easy?” (in that case pls take our after-pill titled: “Sometimes: Yes!”)
- A feeling of unease as the thing you just wrote down might just be too big (in that case, just contact us here. We answer every message <3)
Start your timer N.O.W.
After the timer is finished: Your pill is now working.
Resist the urge to change your magic statement from the last step now. It WON’T be perfect! Sleep over it at least one night before you do this again.
In the long run, finding your magic statement takes sometimes hours of hard brain-exercise, then months of a) implementing and b) testing and the brain-exercise again. It’s an iterative journey.